Saturday, February 20, 2016

Wheat bread

It seems like all the days are blurring together. I go to school 5 out of 7 days. I do homework 6 out of 7 days. I daydream about being somewhere else 7 out of 7 days. 

But there are things I see and smell that I haven't  stopped to spend time with. 
Wheat bread and worn out shoes. 

Recently, for some unknown reason, my hair has smelled like wheat bread. I know that sounds really gross, but this time it was good. It smelled like fresh baked bread. The kind my mom used to bake. It reminded me of days during summer vacation. Days when I would wake up and come down to breakfast. Then I'd hear the wheat grinder and know that Mom was making bread. I'd watch as the wheat would be poured in, then sucked into the chamber. 
When the timer rang, Mom would pull the loaves out of the oven. When they were cooled, she would cut them and make us sandwiches. 


2 comments:

  1. This was a lovely memory. Cool how smell can trigger memories like that huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this a ton. Its so simple, but has a ton of imagery. thanks for sharing you with us

    ReplyDelete